The association should be evident: yellow scarf; yellow name.
Dimensions: 4 x 68 inches
Cast on 16 stitches. Knit in garter. I started alternating Red Heart and Schachenmayr every two rows for eight repeats. Next I alternated Unknown yellow with Red Heart, followed by Unknown yellow alt Schachenmayr, Unknown yellow alt Unknown brown, Unknown brown alt Schachenmayr; and then back down the spectrum, and then up one more time.
Damn! My aim was to use all natural fibers. I completely brain-farted on the Patons, but those mohair guard-hairs misled me.
The Cascade Heritage Silk Paints was double-twined with the Patons Lace and made for great coloration.
The Unknown Red is the yarn I have been trying so hard to rid myself of because of it’s crinkle / boucle texture.
I started in back loop single crochet, but thought the scarf might be too dense. I have this irrational fear that crochet is heavier than knitting; so much so that I feel the item I am crocheting may be cumbersome at times. So, I added sections of filet crochet to lighten it up.
I am amazed at some of the colorations in this scarf: the grey against the bright red and the blues/purples against the lighter reds of carmine and salmon.
I based my pattern repeat on nineteen rows; unfortunately, I ran out of red yarns and just ended it.
* All color designations assigned by Hooker Leo, absent yarn label
I am trying to rid myself of all my scraps and odd balls, so I got all my DK and sport weight yarns and started crocheting. Nothing was working. Restarted about three times and got frustrated working with the beginning yarns. Then I had the idea of double-stranding.
Pretty challenging crochet, as the Unknown Red 1 yarn was bumpy and so was the pink. However, the red ran the entire length.
If memory serves, the Unknown Red 2 yarn is rayon from Netwon’s Yarn Country; I had used it previously on Holly Golightly (2011-2012), a shawl I gifted to Kathleen. Jeez! six years that scrap has been in my stash; well, it’s gone now!
I was going to construct in single crochet only, but I notice my single crochet was creating a bias on the fabric. So I added double crochets and did not notice any change. Lightbulb! Do a second row of single crochet to counter act the first. As you can see the natural tendency is to twist. I think it’s related to the width.
The double crochets created lightness to a scarf whose heft is substantial.
The only relation I can make between the name and the shawl is that I had to re-crochet this shawl three times before I was happy with the outcome.
After three attempts, I finally ended up with something I am happy with. The bonus: I think I have a true crochet crescent shawl! I’d love to hear from you if you agree with me.
Care (Acrylic): Machine wash gentle cycle, warm water, no bleach, rinse well and promptly remove. Roll in towel. Block. CAUTION: Do not iron or dry clean. Care (Cotton): Machine wash gentle or hand wash, cold. Lay flat to dry or line dry in shade, or tumble dry low. +
Dimensions: 45-inch Width x 22-inch depth
I wanted a design I could easily increase without much thinking. I accomplished this by working in double crochet and working between posts, increasing by two stitches on either side of each section, every row.
This did not work well when I wanted to change up the pattern because I kept losing one stitch each section. I then decided to change from between posts to working in stitches; this increase was easier to manipulate. By this time I had changed to treble crochets just to make this shawl grow faster.
I also had a ball of J. & P. Coats Luster Sheen laying around and I thought the colors might break up the dark mauve nicely; it did! By this time, I wanted to end. I had about three hundred thirty stitches; I was aiming for six hundred. However, I thought the shawl was big enough that I could stop.
I started with a scalloped edge, but the stitch count was off. I then began a crab stitch edging, which I really liked. Did I have enough patience to work on top of treble crochets and backwards? I did and I am so happy with the outcome.
+ Suggested care for cotton garments
++ Estimated yarn weight based on numeral 2 written on yarn label and over forty years’ experience
+++ Based on physical match, per touch
Started today after a stumble on the Stairway To Heaven, which has turned into a real pain in the ass, just like in real life. So, considering how easy Union of the Snake was, I decided to follow up with a quick crochet project for the next misstep on Stairway To Heaven.
That brings us to You’ve Got Your Troubles and a knitting dilemma/question:
Using my new WPI info I learned from the June El Segundo Slipt Stitchers guild, I wrapped an unknown yarn around a ruler for one inch and got 24! Yet, there is no 24 WPI yarn on Ravelry. Neither is if one of the yarn weights without a WPI number: light fingering, fingering, lace, or cobweb!
In my humble opinion the yarn pictured in the featured image is more similar to a sport or dk, but that is 12 and 14 WPI.