The association should be evident: yellow scarf; yellow name.
Dimensions: 4 x 68 inches
Cast on 16 stitches. Knit in garter. I started alternating Red Heart and Schachenmayr every two rows for eight repeats. Next I alternated Unknown yellow with Red Heart, followed by Unknown yellow alt Schachenmayr, Unknown yellow alt Unknown brown, Unknown brown alt Schachenmayr; and then back down the spectrum, and then up one more time.
I woke this morning, free from doctor’s appointments, prepared to enjoy the world by finishing the infant afghan request. I warmed my coffee, sat down, did some rows, and decided I wanted to catch up digitally.
While I am not “the runt,” I certainly feel like it after seeing the original pictures for this post! Yikes! I just presumed they were fine, a hint to my rushing of life. Why?
Anyway, the night before guild, I found the blue square and knew that I had left over yarn from squares that required unravelling/saving from the prior set: voila! a runt pet pad.
I love the color combination: nostalgia, fifties, argyle against country gingham.
I was able to get by with a single crochet, double-stranded border without sever puckering…well, not that I remember. Ha ha ha ha!
Originally, these squares were going to be seamed into an afghan for charity, hence the name: a wish for the recipient.
The Pet Pads
You might be able to tell from the squares with excessive white borders that I was going to seam them together with white yarn. Because they were all different yarn weights, gauges, and sizes, I got too frustrated and chose to make pet pads instead. Still I had to do some frogging, adding, adjusting.
I got to say this is not the first time I have seamed together someone else’s work. It is not fun! I will never do this again.
I received the squares from the El Segundo Slipt Stitchers September meeting and agreed that I would seam them together into an afghan. Because they were already made, I have no idea what yarns were used; however, I can tell you that I noticed guard hairs and some of the yarns were extremely soft, indicating natural fibers. The majority , I am sure, were man-made fibers.
Criminy! I have been writing this post as a first post for a new project I started today, having forgotten the project I finished today and for which I had been awaiting a sew job by mother, which she finished. I had photographed, measured and BRAIN FART!
Name pertains to hibernation and frogging of Stairway To Heaven, and going in another direction a la Highway To Hell, the primrose path. Highway To Hell also refers to the challenge of knitting with yarn so slippery it does not knot, on slippery needles. Fortunately, I that did not happen at all.
Highway To Hell Scarf
Made from a ribbon yarn laying around my room/workshop and glitter yarn from the raffle basket, won by Rosa at the June 2018 El Segundo Slipt Stitchers guild meeting, and gifted to me.
Dimensions: 64-inch length x 5-inch width ending & 3-inch beginning
Care: Hand wash in cold water with mild liquid soap. Do not rub or twist. Rinse several times in cold clear water. Do not wring. Dry flat away from heat. + Color: Brown-Gold * Content: Metallized Polyester? Cupro Rayon? Lurex? & Weight: 1, Lace ^
Care: Hand wash in cold water with mild liquid soap. Rinse several times in cold clear water. Dry flat away from heat. + Color: Off-White * Content: ? Weight: 5, Bulky ^
Unknown 1 represents the brown-gold glitter yarn and Unknown 2 represents the braided ribbon/tape.
Cherry Tree relates to the yarn color: Cherry Swirl.
About Cherry Tree
Well, when I started this, I was designing a knit shawl. As I have closed shop, I really was not feeling all the documentation required to write a pattern and I could not see knitting another shawl at the moment, so I changed to an easy crochet clapotis pattern I happened across.
Easy to follow, though I don’t know if I ended it right.
The pattern called for 650 yards; I had 490 yards/2 cakes. I don’t know how this happened, but I only had to dip into my stash for the leftover Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable from Brick By Boring Brick shawl for the last five rows!
I think I will make another with double crochets versus treble crochets, which, in my humble opinion, are more manageable.
Not a fan of the curling, but can’t block out due to acrylic use. I could melt the acrylic, but that would make it even longer and wider!
I was perusing my music library for a name when I came across this one, which related to the shawl by color – brick red.
Care: Machine wash cold. Tumble dry. Dimensions: 72-inch Wingspan x 27-inch Depth Value: USD $124.972018-08-14: removed from inventory; donated to charity
I do not like to block, especially curved items! Because this is made from acrylic fibers, I did not think I would need to, but discovered that even a good hand-stretching of the fabric helped. I suppose the benefit of my half-measures is a more crescent shape rather than half a circle.
The pattern called for approximately 980 yards on a US J Hook. I started with a J, but did not like it because I already crochet loosely, and I had a mess on my hands. I switched to an I-hook and figured I would crochet two skeins and compare where I am. After two skeins, I was short one pattern row – at least in my head, without referring back to the pattern.
Good feel. Been a while since I’ve worked with full-on acrylic. I had thought/hoped for longer color blends. The shawl body is made from two skeins of Premier Sweet Roll.
The border from some scrap yarn I had lying around. I did not think a border in the same multicolor yarn would be flattering, preferring to choose a solid color from the multicolor roll. Because I have yellowish light in my room, I did not see the colors accurately, though I was not far from my target color. To my trained eye there is too much of a difference; to the unobserving eye, it works.