At Mini-Mikey’s baby shower, Roxanne asked me to make a special hat for a photo shoot, where she will place the baby in a Hunny pot with the beanie…at least, I think that’s the plan.
I searched “mercerized cotton worsted weight” because I wanted something lustrous and this came up: Love KnittingBlue Sky Fibers Worsted Cotton. The colors – True Red 641 and Dandelion 638 – are perfect, but I am always hesitant to order online, due to extravagant shipping costs, I searched local yarn shops and discovered that out of the possible three stores near me: one was closed; one I was banned from; and the other had no cotton. The one I was banned from probably has what I want, but screw them! Besides this is for my grand/great nephew and I am willing to skip a meal for him – I shouldn’t miss it.
The yarn is labeled bulky, so I am suing a US J / 6.5 mm hook. At first I thought it was too big because the interlocking seemed loose. I adjusted my tension and my crochet has improved.
In case you forgot the colors I am going to use in this afghan, here they are again…
I was going to write up a pattern, but it is really slowing me down and I have decided there is not much use for it without instruction on how to Interlock Crochet. Oh well, at least I am able to teach the technique now…in-the-round!
While the yarn was still wet, after dyeing and still in a ball, I started wrapping around my thumb and elbow. That got tiring very fast and I recruited mother to stand in while I wrapped around her spread apart hands. She got tired and I ended up wrapping around the bottom of the dye pot.
I now need a niddy-noddy! 😀
My hank was very small – too small to fit on my swift. Fortunately, I had a coffee can that was the same circumference as the pot. I put the yarn around the pot on the floor and wound it on to the swift. When I came across knots – as this was pieced together from several balls Ana had created for her dye class – I untied them and felted them together. As the yarn was still damp in some spots, I left if on the swift over night with a fan on it.
Today, in an effort to maintain an organized household, I decided to wind Mr. Blue Sky up in a cake. During the process, I had about four to five breaks. I just knotted them – frustrated. I can always try to felt later.
I only used blue food color and I am so happy that I got a lighter shade of blue than expected as I am not a true blue fan. The yarn is from Newton’s Yarn Country and I some of their DK wool.
Avoiding the issue for two days, I finally set forth to tinking what I thought would be over two hundred stitches over five rows. Turned out it was only three rows down, having already knocked out two rows while waiting on computer, internet connection and FarmVille.
Yay! I will knock this out after this post and then hopefully knit until I reach the lace section.
Oh, and I have named this project: Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland. Being gay and having named the yarn after me, I couldn’t have thought of a more appropriate name and am lucky that I had not used it already.
The yarn pictured is the yarn I dyed during My First Guild Workshop: Knit Picks Stroll Fingering Bare (Fiber Contetn: 75% Superwash Merino Wool, 25% Nylon; Yarn Color: Leonardo; Yarn Weight: 1, Fingering)
I figured out how to interlock crochet in-the-round!
I wrote down what I’ve done so far, which is good because I am liking the design and it will be measure of how well my documentation skills are for this new method in case I want to write a pattern up.
Today, I might play around with digital designing to see what I can come up with and then see if I might go a different direction for the actual piece…a mystery! 😀
The name of this project is spiritually related and inspired…I was listening to music from my library, while composing this post and my interlock crochet progress and the three songs that impressed themselves into my memory are Mystery Achievement by The Pretenders, Snowball by DEVO and Trust by Me’Shell Ndegéocello.
I did “achieve” something really big – a “mystery” to me: interlock crochet in-the-round!
And I didn’t lose a love – sardonically speaking, I never had one to begin with 😉
As I had decided on Mystery Achievement, Trust had started, confirming my choice, and which was another good name.
I knew there was something I was going to add: The yarn I have been using for this afghan development is Michaels Loops & Threads Impeccable (Fiber Content: 100% Acrylic; Yarn Colors: 01044 True Grey & 01011 Soft Taupe; Yarn Weight: 4, Worsted)
I’ll admit I’ve been dragging my feet with this project since about the third section when I discovered my stitch count was uneven. This is not a good thing for a symmetrical design.
That simple fact is the cause for my delay because in my mind I am dreading the adjustments I will have to make when it comes to the border.
AND I ran out of a yarn color twice now, the first time for 7 double crochets…AIYAA! My solution was to go through my stash and find a matching color. I found – what I would call – a 3-ply acrylic, separated on ply and used that. The second time, I did not have enough to finish the last row of whole section!
Luckily, I managed to fudge the border to make it around the corner…there may be better clientele and the other side of the block. Ha ha ha ha ha!
Unable to work on crochet in the evening, I started a new mindless project for night knitting while watching television: Message of Love (by The Pretenders) Cowl.
I was totally surprised to learn that this bulky-looking yarn only calls for a US 6 needle, but it seems to be knitting up fine despite the knobbiness of the yarn of which I am not a fan. My experience has taught me that most textured yarns are best used in knitting versus crochet, as one is working with live stitches versus working in existing stitches, which can be difficult to identify in crochet.
I started on straight needles, but will switch to circulars, as the length of the straights is a little encumbering.